Tuesday, November 07, 2006

National City Christian Church and other thoughts

This church is in Thomas Circle. I was surprised to find that the National City Christian Church has its own webpage, but I suppose that is the age in which we live. I walk by this church a lot. I can look at the steeple from the roof of my building. It is a grand structure, and really, I didn't do it justice. The steps (not visible from the angle I chose to shoot) make me want to lounge in the sun eating a pretzel from a street vender, or snacks from my overladen backpack, taking a well deserved rest ... And people watch. Unfortunately, there is no pretzel vender near by, and most of the people are driving through Thomas Circle. Honestly, I think all big stone steps remind me of The Art Institute in Chicago, the natural history museums in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago,or the Met in NY. Grand stone steps are a place to sit and revel in a day well spent... hours in a museum, or in the marktplatz, or trying to soak up as much of Paris as is possible...

Those are moments of pure joy, utterly exhausted and so very alive.

-- exhausted is good, great, grand.

4 Comments:

Blogger Denton said...

Nice comments on the steps ... shooting something so grand is challenge ... your choice of perspective adds to the grandeur.

9:26 AM  
Blogger D.J. said...

Wow, you sure have seen a few cities! ;)

I like your comments. They paint a good picture, too.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said...

You took it from a good angle. Don't worry it is a marvelous building and you sure did her justice alright. I love these grand stone stairs too. We got some here in Barcelona or as you say in Paris, at the Sacre Coeur for example, having pretzels or whatever to enjoy the view, hmm great feeling.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I looked forward to sitting in front of St Paul's in London back in 2003, and of course that summer it was closed for renovation or some such!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home