Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day


I had hoped to take more pictures today, but unfortunately my battery was dead, and I only managed to squeeze enough juice out of it to grab this shot. It is not your typical mother's day photo... nor is it something I would have thought I'd be posting today.. What I mean is , I realize this is not the best photo , it was not set up in the way I had wanted, but alas.. the battery..

We went for a walk earlier today and I saw the man in the picture with bags full of strips of the police line ribbon and other debris. I mean he literally had three to five bags. My husband, David, said that he had seen the guy earlier collecting the stuff. So we see him, and he is , with great care, hanging up these precious little strips of yellow.

Now, this man was probably homeless, quite possibly crazy (but who am I to judge?). I have no idea why he was decorating the city on this day. I wonder what he was thinking. I wonder how many strips of yellow he managed to hang.
I hope he was long gone before the shop owners and hotel workers removed them. He really did seem to have a purpose, even if it was merely in his own head.

And I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's day! I like to think he was decorating the city to honor Mother's everywhere.

of course, he could just like yellow.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes for people like these...I hope he will be alright!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I like this document! it shows people from all walk of life .. Do wish him well :)

6:26 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Interesting story. I wonder what his purpose was. I like the photo.

7:23 AM  
Blogger D.J. said...

Interesting that I didn't notice the blue ribbon on his head until I saw your photo. I'm glad you caught it.

Oh...and no ribbons out today.

2:20 PM  
Blogger jenni said...

I was very touched by this man. He seemed so happy, hanging his strips of yellow. He was actually humming. I wish I had been able to capture the picture that I wanted, but, nonetheless, I am grateful to have witnessed the moment.

his bags seemed to have a story as well.

I'm not suprised the ribbons are gone. I saw a couple of guys who looked rather worried.. and I'm sure they were quick on the ribbon removal task.

I am glad that I got to show you something that you didn't see at first glance, David =)

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home