Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gdiapers > changing the world, one bum at a time.


My daugher has noticed that I've been spending a lot of time on cloth diapering sites lately. Things have changed a lot in the past 11 1/2 years since I first chose to try cloth diapering. I think when I mentioned it at the time, my mom (who cloth diapered all six of us) and my sisters thought I was a bit nutty. (but then, I get that a lot) So I started researching what is new in the cloth diapering community. One company in particular really stood out to both David and me. Gdiapers are a happy little marriage between cloth and disposable. It is a disposable insert in a breathable cloth diaper cover.

Gdiapers appeal to me on so many levels. First, you have this Australian couple, Jason and Kim Graham-Nye, who came to the realization that disposable diapers are the third largest contributer to landfills in the world. And those suckers take five hundred years to break down (to me that kinda takes the practicallity right out of the ease of disposablility!) So this couple decided to take that realization a step (or two or many) further! Gdiapers have been available in Australia since 1991. A couple of years ago, I'm happy to say, Jason and Kim bought the rights to the rest of the world and brought Gdiapers to America.

Like I said, I have been spending a lot of time researching cloth diapering options. There are many. And to be honest, when I first found out I was pregnant, I wasn't totally sure I'd go all the way cloth again. After the kids and I saw the video here which shows the biodegradablitiy of a gdiaper insert next to disposable diapers, I knew I really couldn't come up with an excuse that I could swallow. I mean, I want this world to be a better world for my kids. I don't believe in a disposable planet. I sent the link to David and he was sold in a second. Of course, I kept looking online for all sorts of cloth diapering options... my hubby and daughter had already decided Gdiapers was the way to go. (my son isn't all that interested, I mean, he is eleven, and we are talking about diapers here.)

As if the product itself isn't amazing enough. This company runs on the philosophy of being real and genuine with everyone you encounter. That is something I can stand behind!

I have been in contact with people from Gdiapers. They are very personalble and helpful. Michelle, from Gdiapers, is going to be in DC today. When she first contacted me I thought that was cool, but was pretty sure I'd have a very newborn baby in my hands and that I'd not feel up to meeting for lunch or anything. Well... that babe is still neatly contained and rather portable in my ever growing tum-tum... soooo I'm happy to say that I very shortly I shall be meeting Michelle and some other area gmums & gdads for lunch.

Who knows... maybe the baby was just waiting to be born to give me the chance to meet Michelle! =)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol E. said...

Great tip! I'm so glad to know that a better alternative has been developed. I just sent the info to my niece who has a newborn.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

How cool that you got to meet with her! Maybe you could be the new DC gDiaper rep. :) You've already got a built-in (no pun intended right now) poster child.

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diapers aside, where are you going to lunch???

3:08 AM  
Blogger jenni said...

LOL =)
i knew I forgot something... we ate at Kramers books & cafe in Dupont Circle... more on that at another time! =)

j

3:23 AM  
Blogger travelphilippines said...

i would love to have that shirt too.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home