Friday, July 28, 2006

cool and refreshing


Yesterday, we went to Alexandria, Virginia. It is an easy metro ride on the blue or yellow line to King Street Station. From there we took a very hot, humid, what-were-we-thinking-walk up King Street to lunch at the Asian Bistro. My husband met us for lunch, which was a treat! Unfortunately he had to return to work after we ate, but the kids and I like to hit a couple of thrift stores while we are there. Actually, my son's favorite hobby shop is in Alexandria. It is a lego lovers dream. There is a severe lack of toy stores in our neighborhood (or so I am told). Alexandria makes up for it. There is a Discovery Store, Old Town Theater, some great thrift stores, used book stores, as well as a wonderful children's book store called A Likely Story. It was at A Likely Story where we met one of our all time favorite children's book Author and Illustrator, Kevin Henkes a few months ago. Now that I think about it, I have some great pictures of that to post.
Anyway.. back to yesterday. It was extrememly hot, humid and miserable. Still we had a great time and brought home some neat finds. On our way back to the station I stopped to snap a few pictures of a little garden, I believe a memorial, but honestly, it was too hot to look. I just love this area. I'll post more pictures of it tomorrow, but to wet your whistle, I share this little gem. There was a drinking fountain that , when the button was pressed to get a drink, also poured the excess water down the pipe and out of these hands for any thirsty dogs that happen to be out and about. Yesterday the dogs were smarter than us. They stayed home!

7 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

I miss being able to hop on the bus or metro. I loved that about DC.

10:01 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

wonderful photo and excellent post jenni!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

a functional design!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever! Glad you had a great time yesterday...happy weekend to you!

3:29 PM  
Blogger jenni said...

Thank you all for the comments! (thanks Edwin!)
I didn't realize you lived in DC, Natalie.

Functional and clever! and I do love hands. it was a neat find.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an idea :-) a "Dog Bar" ...

1:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

like this idea...

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home