Monday, July 24, 2006

SpaceShipOne



For my hundredth post, I thought I would share a few shots from a truly DC moment. SpaceShipOne, the first privately funded human spaceflight, made history on June 21, 2004, which also happens to be my birthday.





On October 5, 2005 my family was there to witness the ceremony in which Paul Allen, the sole funder, and Burt Rutan, the designer, donated SpaceShipOne to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. After the ceremony, the kids while we were chatting amongst ourselves while the crowd dispersed. The kids and I hung out, but unfortunately my husband, David, had to get back to work. We got to hear Burt Rutan telling pretty much anyone who would listen what he hopes to see happen with space travel. To hear him talk of SpaceShipTwo reminded me of all the newsreels I have seen of early flight travel. He graciously agreed to be in the picture with us.

Many months later while we were visiting another museum, my son handed his museum guide to me and asked me to hold it for him. I glanced at it before stuffing it into my backpack, the very same backpack that I saw on the girl (me) in the lower right corner of the Smithsonian Museum Guide cover. My husband added the highlight and words. We were surprised and excited!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Happy 100th post, Jenni!
that's an interesting programme

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! hehehe that is exciting! Ooh and happy 100th photo :)

5:55 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Now you're the famous back pack woman on the free Smithsonian guide. The space ship looks so small. I like your daughter's wardrobe choice for the outing. =)

7:26 AM  
Blogger jenni said...

when I was putting that post together I thought that particular outfit might fit a certain other website!

and yes.. that's a cape.
& it has super powers that keep her warm when inside an overly air-conditioned museum

=)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Harty congrats on your 100th post! And what an exciting one it is. . .How fun to become a cover girl unawares. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Rutan was talking rockets. Hey, Paul Allen lives here in Seattle and funds many things he's deeply interested in like the EMP designed by Gehry. I think it is he who has this really weird huge plane thing with something like dragon's wings that I saw in the skies here last summer or fall. At least a space ship is somewhat conventional, this thing was like something out of Lord of the Rings. Thanks for featuring the air/space museum. Our family enjoyed it so much when we visited.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home