Saturday, April 29, 2006

revolutionary revelation


Today was a beautiful day. We went walking and found ourselves in Georgetown. We love the Georgetown recreation center which is quite a contrast to the one in our own neighborhood. (We live in a great part of town, it's just that the rec center is outdated.)
The Georgetown Recreation Center has a rec room, basketball hoops, tennis courts, a rec center that actually offers recreational activities, a nice little playground, baseball diamond and a pool. We looked at the pool and it looks really promising with summer looming in the horizon. It hasn't opened yet, but soon.. soon!

We were standing in front of some bushes, looking up at the pool, behind us there were a few basketball games going on, to the left , the rec building and playground... we glance down, and almost missed the plaque honoring soldiers of the American Revolution buried right on that spot.

It was quite a surprise. I know everything has a history. Still, it was really unexpected to see this plaque. I've been to this park quite a few times and never ever have I stopped to think of any soldiers buried there. I just hadn't really thought about it! That is one of the things I love about this city. History unfolds itself if you happen to be looking.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

Nice post! I noticed as well that since I started photo blogging I pay more attention to my surroundings. It's amazing what you can discover if you look closer. :)

4:10 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

...and the leaves on the ground really make this look like a find. I wonder what it would look like in b&w...a horror story shot? Excellent discovery.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

How neat to just stumble upon some little bit of history. It made for a very nice shot.

3:14 PM  
Blogger D.J. said...

When we came upon this, I was struck by the fact that this little plate is almost completely hidden from view. So, as I was contemplating this historically significant find, this scenario of men dying on this very plot of land where we were standing to free our country (cue Star Spangled Banner) played out in my head. Then I glanced up and saw...

...two guys playing tennis.

(O Say can you see...LOVE 40)

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home